Thursday, April 8, 2010

I know the difference!

I can tell when I'm asked a question that is simply based in curiosity and one that is meant to "trip me up"
Honestly, this post might get little obnoxious and I do not mean to offend my lovely readers whose children go to school but seriously I am sure I would get into a great big fight if I asked questions to school kids' parents like this:
"what about being out in the real world? how will your child learn that if they are in school all day?"
"What about learning to love learning? how you will your child learn that?"
" How will your kids learn that your word means more than some government institution?"
"How will your kids learn to be unstructured ?"
"How will your kids play outside?"
"how will your kid learn that it's ok to talk while learning?"
"How will your kid learn that you as the parent are knowledgeable in subjects taught in school and it doesn't matter that your not his teacher?

You see these questions are obnoxious and rude are they are not?
Somehow though people think it is perfectly OK to ask me how kids will learn a whole laundry list of ridiculous things.
It isn't the curious questioner that I mind. I actually like that person b/c I get talk and talk about homeschooling and they are genuinely interested but it's different sometimes.
Sometimes the questions are meant to say not, "how will your child...."
but rather the intent is, "your child never will...." b/c no matter how you answer, the other person is ready with an answer as to why your reasoning (not to mention countless hours researching) just wont work and your kids will somehow be handicapped b/c of not attending school.
I can't imagine how this would work the other way around but someday I will be brave enough to try it out on some overly invasive questioner/doubter.
Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling

1 comment:

The Guptas said...

I feel that unfortunately in our culture, different isn't just different, different is wrong. I've dealt with this question thing extensively since this is our first year of homeschooling. It's fascinating who I can put in the "supporter" column, the "naysayer" column and the "I can talk to you as long as we don't bring up education" column. Very distinct groups at this point but I'm holding true to the belief that someday they will "get it" and most in the "naysayer" column will either move to one of the other columns or just cease to be in our lives. It's a small price to pay for knowing down to my toes that we are doing the right thing for our kids.

I told my husband last spring that if we didn't do this, he would need to call DYFS on me because I was clearly seeing and ignoring the needs of my children - I think that's called neglect. I love that homeschoolers tend to be very passionate about what they do - you very rarely see the same passion in a public school parent. Go you!!

Popular Posts

homeschool art

homeschool art
I get about one keeper picture and the rest of the time my kids are painting themselves

Johanna and Michael

Johanna and Michael

My homeschooled geniuses

My homeschooled geniuses
(just kdding They areonly playing WITH the chess pieces not playing chess

More centipedes

More centipedes

The tallest block tower in the world

The tallest block tower in the world

What about socialization?

What about socialization?

St. Patrick's day

St. Patrick's day
Go Green!!

Flat Stanley comes to visit

Flat Stanley comes to visit

Driving school

Driving school

Climbing platforms

Climbing platforms

Microscope

Microscope

Making cars

Making cars

Learning about blood pressure

Learning about blood pressure

Freedom

Freedom

They're here

They're here

Ok now we wait for the big day

Ok now we wait for the big day

Caterpillar

Caterpillar
Shedding skin

Just hanging around

Just hanging around

Caterpillars

Caterpillars
Look how big they got

We're growing butterflies

We're growing butterflies

Crossing guard

Show and tell

Show and tell

One room schoolhouse

One room schoolhouse

Johanna gets her library card

Johanna gets her library card

Alice

Alice

Making pot holders

Making pot holders

Environmental science

Environmental science

We love puddles

We love puddles

A lesson in "wet paint"

A lesson in "wet paint"

Climbing trees

Climbing trees