Sunday, December 5, 2010

You must be so patient

Homeschoolers raise your hand if you ever hear these words, "I could never homeschool.  You must be so patient"  Now keep your hands up if you are really THAT patient.  I saw those hands go down.  When people say that to me I always say, "Well you know that's a myth we homeschoolers like to keep alive b/c it makes us look good"  It generally gets a laugh and I follow it with the truth. There is no way I could ever be as patient as they are to have to follow someone else's rules about how my kid should and must be learning, socializing, waking up, eating for lunch and whether or not my kid is at "grade level"

I don't think it takes any more patience to homeschool your kids than is needed to raise them.    So that is not to say the job is without effort just that effort is only equal to having kids anyway.
I find the stressors of homeschooling to be only about parenting woes and I am glad that it isn't exacerbated by someoone else putting pressure on me and my kids to be at some arbitrary level  they deem appropriate.
The number one "issue" that I hear over and over in my homeschool circles is trying to make time to teach the older one when the little one is underfoot.  Sharing comes up and even bossiness of siblings;  things that are just part of the whole parenting package anyway.
 Mostly, we are happy to go slowly to help a struggling kid learn to spell and we are happy to challenge the quick study with frequent trips to the library or more math puzzles.
Better Late Than Early: A New Approach to Your Child's Education


Patience is required when stuck in traffic on your way to meet friends to see the Statue liberty and more patience is needed when it turns out you are never gonna get there.  However , a report on the Statue Liberty will not be "late" and no one is going to fail the test on what is written at the base.
As homeschoolers we only require as much patience as is needed to meet  the day to day life existence but rarely do we need to muster up strngth to hear someone else tell us our kids aren't applying themselves.
We get to choose and that is truly the blessing of the whole thing.

No comments:

Popular Posts

homeschool art

homeschool art
I get about one keeper picture and the rest of the time my kids are painting themselves

Johanna and Michael

Johanna and Michael

My homeschooled geniuses

My homeschooled geniuses
(just kdding They areonly playing WITH the chess pieces not playing chess

More centipedes

More centipedes

The tallest block tower in the world

The tallest block tower in the world

What about socialization?

What about socialization?

St. Patrick's day

St. Patrick's day
Go Green!!

Flat Stanley comes to visit

Flat Stanley comes to visit

Driving school

Driving school

Climbing platforms

Climbing platforms

Microscope

Microscope

Making cars

Making cars

Learning about blood pressure

Learning about blood pressure

Freedom

Freedom

They're here

They're here

Ok now we wait for the big day

Ok now we wait for the big day

Caterpillar

Caterpillar
Shedding skin

Just hanging around

Just hanging around

Caterpillars

Caterpillars
Look how big they got

We're growing butterflies

We're growing butterflies

Crossing guard

Show and tell

Show and tell

One room schoolhouse

One room schoolhouse

Johanna gets her library card

Johanna gets her library card

Alice

Alice

Making pot holders

Making pot holders

Environmental science

Environmental science

We love puddles

We love puddles

A lesson in "wet paint"

A lesson in "wet paint"

Climbing trees

Climbing trees